Set Ethernet connection as Metered in Windows 10-To avoid unwanted download of windows updates
What happens when you set your connection as metered:
- Windows Update will ask you before downloading the updates.
- You can update Windows Defender definitions directly in Windows Defender/
- Modern apps would require a manual check.
- optional features like Speech pack etc etc cannot be downloaded
- Open Registry Editor by opening Run dialog box and typing in regedit
- Navigate to the following key :
Take the ownership of the key:
- Right click DefaultMediaCost and click permissions:
- Click on Advanced in the bottom right:
- Now click on Change against Owner:
- Then Enter your username of the account you are running and windows will automatically convert it into correct format:
- Click OK and check “replace owner on subcontainers and objects”:
- Click OK and OK on screens.
Modify the values
- Then as you have taken the permissions,you need to change the value of Ethernet.
- You will see written 0X00000001 against Ethernet.Here,2 means metered, 1 means not metered.
- Right click Ethernet and select modify.Then change the value to 2 to set as metered.
Residing from Chandigarh India, Sumit is a Windows Insider MVP awarded for the first time in 2018. He is also an Independent advisor for Microsoft customers and helps voluntarily as well on the forums.