How to do a repair Install using a windows 10 ISO to fix a broken windows
- A windows 10 ISO file which you can download from here.Make sure it has the same language,edition and architecture. For how to download ISO file, see method #3 here.
- A backup of most important files.
- A Windows 10 OS that boots to the desktop-safe mode or advanced recovery options would not work.
Things that would be removed:
- All custom fonts and customized icons.
- All Windows updates.For example if you are using an ISO of build 15063.488, then you need to apply all the updates released from 15063.0.
- First of all open the Installation file downloaded from Microsoft’s website.It would mount as a virtual drive-F:/ here and the contents would open in a new window.
- Then double click the setup.exe named file and it should show you preparing screen:
- The next step is to accept the license agreement:
- Then after some progress,it would prompt you with the confirmation.Make sure there is a tick against Keep files,apps and settings as shown:
- Sign in to your account by entering your Password first:
- You can either use default settings or customize them according to your wish.If you wish to change the default ones,choose customize your settings at the bottom right.
- When finished,it would apply your settings and then it might ask you for signing in again.
- That’s it,you have done a repair Install.You can verify your build number by typing in winver in run dialog box.
- First of all Download Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.
- After the download finishes,open the tool and select upgrade this PC now as shown:
- Sit back and relax,your computer would do the steps described above automatically till logging in.
- The older windows installation on which the newer has taken place is moved to windows.old folder in drive where windows is installed.It might take gigs of space,especially when you have a large number of programs.It would delete automatically after a month,but if you want to delete that manually do the following
- Open disk cleanup from start>All apps>Windows administrative tools.
- Choose the drive where windows is installed,like C:/
- After the first scan it does and shows the result,click cleanup system files at the bottom left.
- Then check the box older windows installations in the list,like the following:
- Then click on OK and windows would remove the files.
Residing from Chandigarh India, Sumit is a Windows Insider MVP awarded for the first time in 2018. He is also an Independent advisor for Microsoft customers and helps voluntarily as well on the forums.