How to get more control over Windows update in Windows 10
Installing these updates is important as it offers more stability to the OS and security issues are also fixed.
Earlier Operating systems allowed some more flexible options to windows update like Installing them when the user presses Check for updates button and then the user had to confirm the download and Installation.
But in Windows 10 Microsoft has removed the ability to manually check and download the windows updates.The windows updates in windows 10 automatically check and download the updates as soon as they become available.Sometimes this is problematic for the user(for example a faulty driver gets installed.).Also,Windows sometimes schedules restarts when the user is working that might lead to loss of work.
To overcome this issue in Windows 10,there are some workarounds which are as under:
Set your Network connection as metered:
To set Wi-Fi connection as metered:
- Open the settings app and then navigate to Netork and Internet.
- Now under Wifi Settings click Advanced Options.
- Then set the Slider to ON for metered connections.
Hide Updates using Troubleshooter tool:
Use Registry Edit to set the update settings to Check for download and Install manually(Windows 10 Pro Edition only)
- Open Run dialog box using Windows key+R.Type in regedit and press OK.
- Now on the left hand side navigate to the following key:
- Create a new key under Windows and name it WindowsUpdate
- Create a new key under Windows update and set the name as AU.The final would look like this:
- Now right Click AU and select new DWORD and name it AUOptions and set its value to 2 (to notify to download and notify to Install).Alternatively change the value according to this table:
3 to auto download and notify for install,
4 to auto download and schedule the install and
5 To allow local admin to choose setting.
This method works only in Pro Editions,not the home one.
Completely disable the windows update service
- iPress Windows key+R to open Run dialog box.
- Type in Services.msc and on the right hand side right click Windows update service.
- Navigate to Properties and set startup type to disabled
- Now windows would never check for updates.