Upgrade to Windows 10 Fall Creators update using these options
Method 1: Using the upgrade assistant
The Redmond giant provides software which it names as Upgrade assistant which assists you in getting the most recent feature upgrade to Windows. It is available on the following page for download- Click Update now just below “We have noticed that you are using Windows 10”:
A program of about 6 MB in size would subsequently be downloaded and run. This shows if your PC is up to date.
If an update is available which should be, it would ask you for confirmation about Installation. Click on update now to get started.
After you click update now, you would be greeted with a download progress screen. Rest of the work would be done by Windows itself.
After the download, the PC would ask you for when to restart your computer to initiate the Install. A few restarts and you are done! When you get to the desktop for the first time you would notice the same assistant pops up and Thanks you for Installing the latest feature update to Windows 10.
The Media Creation tool, as the name suggests is used for creating Installation media of Windows 10. Originally designed for upgrading Windows 7 and 8.1 to Windows 10, the tool still holds works excellently to upgrade to the latest feature upgrade. I feel that this is more efficient than the Upgrade assistant. Media creation tool offers 2 options:
- Downloading the Installation media for future purposes and doing a clean Install.
- A more automatic option to let the computer upgrade.
A bonus thing would be to re-verify the version number of the Tool. It should be 10.0.16299. A tool having the version number of 10.0.15063 or something else would download the ISO of that corresponding build.
It would download the Installation media first and then Install the feature upgrade.
For more advanced users
This method would allow you to keep an Installation media for future purposes if you want to do a clean Install. Following steps are what you need to do for the upgrade.
Choose Option 2 in Media creation tool-download Installation media for another PC.
- Then select ISO file on the screen which says Choose which media to use.Click on Next.
- Save the ISO to any other drive and click OK in the path chooser dialog box. The ISO download should begin.
- When the ISO download finishes, navigate to the ISO file location from file explorer and open it. It should mount as a virtual drive as shown here:
- Open the virtual drive and launch setup.exe named file, it would start preparing:
- The next step is checking for updates. Getting updates doesn’t harm, but the Problem is if your WU engine is having issues then it is recommended to skip this step.
- Accept the license terms.
- Confirm your Edition to be upgraded and keeping things. Click on next.
- Then Windows starts Installing.
- After some restarts, you would be greeted with Fall creators update.
Directly download the ISO
Downloading an ISO directly from Microsoft isn’t that easy, you need to do some effort to get the ISO from the website.
Microsoft only recommends using Media Creation tool for downloading the ISO. For systems running Windows as an OS, you would never get an option to download ISO file through your browser.(It used to be a while ago, but not.) However, for other OS like Mac or Linux, the software download page would allow you to download the ISO through your web browser. The reason is clear- Media creation tool doesn’t work in other OSes. When you pretend that you are not running Windows on the Software Download page, you get options to download the ISO. How to pretend? Just by changing the user agent in the browser. The following are the steps:
Open the following page in any browser. I am writing the steps for Google Chrome.
After the page opens, click F12 to open developer tools. This is what it looks like:
Click on Device toolbar-the second one from the left to open device. On the above horizontal options, you get-Change the Device to anything that is not Windows related. Here I have chosen iPad. Change the visibility percentage to 100. An image says a thousand words:
When the ISO completes, head over to Method 2 from File Explorer step to upgrade.
Residing from Chandigarh India, Sumit is a Windows Insider MVP awarded for the first time in 2018. He is also an Independent advisor for Microsoft customers and helps voluntarily as well on the forums.