New Skip Ahead Build for Windows 10 released
Microsoft has almost finished up Redstone 4 release(no known issues on the latest release!) so the focus of the Insider and the development team now shifts to Redstone 5 builds. Microsoft already released first RS5 build a while back, and now they have released third RS5 build this week. The build number is 17623. The new features have started to come up which are discussed below:
- New High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF) format for Images supported by Windows Photos app-Make sure you have joined beta program for Photos app.
- Now you can safely remove External GPU using Safely remove devices.
- New Privacy Settings layout in Settings.
- Windows Defender Application guard Improvements.
- For Windows Insiders in the Skip Ahead ring, we will begin testing a change where links clicked on within the Windows Mail app will open in Microsoft Edge, which provides the best, most secure and consistent experience on Windows 10 and across your devices. With built-in features for reading, note-taking, Cortana integration, and easy access to services such as SharePoint and OneDrive, Microsoft Edge enables you to be more productive, organized and creative without sacrificing your battery life or security. As always, we look forward to feedback from our WIP community.
- [Fixed] an issue where the Microsoft Store may be completely broken or disappeared altogether after upgrading to this build.
- [Fixed] two issues impacting the usability of Windows Mixed Reality on the previous build (Windows Mixed Reality running at a very low frame rate (8-10fps), and a potential crash at startup that could cause Windows Mixed Reality to not work).
- [Fixed] an issue resulting in not being able to interact with title bars using touch when Sets was enabled.
- [Fixed] an issue resulting in the touch keyboard crashing when focus was moved to certain password fields.
- We’ve improved the performance of Bluetooth mice when the system is under load.
- [Fixed] an issue from recent flights causing precision touchpads to periodically need a few tries to be able to move the mouse.
- [Fixed] an issue resulting in the Amharic keyboard not working in Win32 apps.
- [Fixed] an issue where EFI and Recovery partitions were unexpectedly listed in Defragment and Optimize Drives.
- [Fixed] an issue optimizing drives in Defragment and Optimize Drives didn’t work in the last few flights.
- [Fixed] an issue resulting in a permanently black window if you dragged a tab out of a Microsoft Edge window, pulled it up to the top edge of the screen, and moved it back down and released it.
- Updated the Cortana section in Settings to now be called “Cortana & Search”.
- [Fixed] an issue where you couldn’t use touch to interact with the Timeline scrollbar.
- [Fixed] an issue where a failed app update could result in that app becoming unpinned from the taskbar.
- [Fixed] an issue where if focus was set inside Action Center pressing Esc wouldn’t close the Action Center window.
- [Fixed] an issue that could result in ShellExperienceHost periodically waking the device from hibernate if active live tiles were pinned to Start.
- If you open Settings and clicking on any links to the Microsoft Store or links in tips, Settings will crash. This includes the links to get themes and fonts from the Microsoft Store, as well as the link to Windows Defender.
- If you try to open a file that is available online-only from OneDrive that hasn’t been previously downloaded to your PC (marked with a green checkmark in File Explorer), your PC could bugcheck (GSOD). You can work around this problem by right-clicking on these files and selecting “Always keep on this device.” Any file-on-demand from OneDrive that is already downloaded to the PC should open fine.
- The Emoji Panel keyboard shortcuts don’t work – for now you’ll need to use the touch keyboard to enter emoji. If you right-click on the taskbar you’ll find an option to show the touch keyboard button and go from there.
The build is only available via Windows update to insiders on Skip Ahead.
More information about the build can be found here