This Article describes what are the major changes from Windows 10 v1511 and Windows 10 v1607-named Anniversary update released on 2nd August 2016:
Lock Screen and greetings
- The default e-mail address is no longer displayed on the lock screen.
- You can control Music playback from the lock screen itself.
- The Login screen now uses a background image same as the lock screen.
- New Windows activation troubleshooter to resolve issues with windows activation.
- Microsoft account is now linked with your digital license which activates windows.
- The start menu UI has been updated.
- Lists of the most used applications and all applications have been combined together;
- Vertical bar added to the left side of the menu which contains settings,Explorer and file options.
- The “Start menu now displays up to three newly added applications instead of one.
- Applications that start with numbers, are now listed under the symbol “#” instead of “0-9”.
Cortana and search
- Cortana is available on the lock screen (you must first activate in the settings)
- Improved synchronization of Cortana and Action center.
- Cortana has been integrated with Maps.
- Reminders are shown as a list and can use images and application data also.
- Music search-Cortana can search for music and supports playback from Groove music pass(US only)
- You can set a timer using Cortana.
- Sync your notifications on the PC to phone and vice versa is enabled through Cortana.You can get information about battery,calls on the devices and cards exchange.
- Cortana can read your Office 365 emails,reminders etc.
- Cortana shows sound wave instead of random characters when it is listening to you.
- Search shows Onedrive results too.
- Added ability to show a specific window on all virtual desktops.
- Switch between desktops is now possible with the new four-finger gestures on the Touchpad.
- Indicators on the taskbar for Universal modern apps.
- The system clock is integrated with events from the calender application.
- The system clock will be displayed on each monitor when using Multi monitor configuration.
- The Flyout UI of volume is improved-now you can change the source of the Audio and control volume accordingly.
- Explorer Icon would be removed by default.
- Notification Center icon is moved to the right of the system clock.
- Notification Center icon now shows the number of notifications.
- Notifications between mobile and desktop version of Windows is now synchronized.
- Wi-Fi Icon now has an additional interface instead of the on / off network.
- The options available to the new setting priority and the allowable number of notifications from the same application and configuration buttons at the bottom of the center.
- You can reject any notification by clicking the middle mouse button.
- Now you can remove/add individual items from the quick actions.
- Extensions support has been added.The notable extensions available now are Adblock plus,translator,last pass and web clipper.
- Tabs can be pinned,so that accidental closing of the browser doesn’t remove them.
- Switch back and forth from web pages using swiping left or right.
- Right clicking the back button would result in the list of web pages history.
- Added an option to clean-up the data when the browser is exited.
- The favorite bar can now show icons only,allows renaming and creating folders.
- Paste and search and paste and go shows up in the address bar depending on the information present on the clipboard.
- A warning displays when you close Edge when downloading is in progress.
- The default download location of the items can be changed.
- Added importing favorites support from Firefox.
- Favorites are shown in a tree structure in hub.
- When the display window is narrow,the share and make a note button get converted into an icon.
- What’s new and tips page added to the main menu of the browser that leads to a page of Edge change-log.
- New Skype Universal app app that replaces phone and video app.
- Added connect app which brings continuum experience to a PC.
- Added Sticky notes as a modern app.
- Feedback hub has been introduced replacing Insider hub and windows feedback.
- New shortcut for feedback hub-Windows key+F.
- New updated versions of
- Films and TV etc.
- Sway is merged with photos app.
- Windows defender can be used even if any other 3rd party Antivirus is installed.
- Microsoft WiFi has been discontinued.
- A new tool to clean Install Windows.
- Now applications can be run in light or dark mode.
- Taskbar properties have been merged in settings app.
- The apps can now be reset in the factory state.The option is present in System>Apps.This is quite handy when an app doesn’t open.
- A network test button has been added to test the network.
- Each subcategory of a category has its own icon.
- Location improvements-now approximate locations can be used.
- Screen reader and magnifier improvements.
- Added a separate option for Windows Insider program in Update and security.
- Active hours in Windows update-The computer doesn’t restart in the time interval of active hours.
- The latest information on windows update link has been moved to advanced options.
- Developer subcategory in update and security has been improved.
- The search bar in the Settings app has been moved to center and is enabled by default.Earlier to search you had to click on the text box first.
- In the subcategories,the search bar is on left side.
- Windows defender has been improved.
- Improvements to the subcategory bar-the colored text would tell the active section.
- New icons in update and security and Windows update.
- The taskbar can now be hidden when in Tablet mode
- List of all applications is now shown in full screen rather than a list.
- Optimization of onecore,the shared code of windows used to develop windows on all platforms.
- New Windows Ink feature.Windows Ink is enabled by default which are having a pen as an input device..Read here
- New Installation progress user Interface.
- Improved battery life of a device in standby mode.
- Implemented Native Ubuntu Bash support.
- The User interface of User account control has been changed.
- Added a new group policy to remove 260 character limit on paths of files and folders on NTFS,
- New emoticons.
- Command Prompt display has been improved on High DPI displays.
- New Explorer, Network and BD icon.