Reset Windows update in Windows 10 and earlier versions of Windows
- New drivers for the hardware devices installed in the computer
- Security patches
- Known bugs fixed
- Major updates and upgrades.
Sometimes windows updates does not work as you want it. Most common issues include failure with an error code, reverting back of the updates after installation(see here). This article discusses to reset Windows update completely using a reset script. Generally, resetting Windows updates fixes errors in Windows update.
The script does the following things:
- Removes the older Windows update Folders, where the updates are downloaded. Newer ones are created automatically.
- Re-registers the Windows update Files.
- Resets your network connection and BITS service.
Instructions for usage:
- Download the Script into your computer(Link in the end)
- Select Keep if prompted.
- Go to Downloads folder in your users folder and locate the file.
- Right-click the WuReset2.0 named file and select Run as administrator.
- If Windows Smartscreen blocks it, click Run anyway.
- Let it finish.
- .Restart your computer and check for the updates again.
Disclaimer: This script would erase the Update History.
Residing from Chandigarh India, Sumit is a Windows Insider MVP awarded for the first time in 2018. He is also an Independent advisor for Microsoft customers and helps voluntarily as well on the forums.